[Ads-l] UAP - unidentified aerial phenomena (or phenomenon)

Sun Oct 23 05:53:18 UTC 2022

Great work, LH. Here are some details for the key 1958 citation.

The Internet Archive has the April 1958 issue of "The Magazine of
Fantasy & Science Fiction" which contains a short story titled "The
Grantha Sighting" by Avram Davidson. U.A.P. is not used for
"Unidentified Aerial Phenomena”; instead, it is used for the following
closely related expression:

U.A.P - Unexplained Aerial Phenomena

The story also uses the following acronym:
U.A.P.C.C. - Unexplained Aerial Phenomena Coordinating Corps

The excerpt from page 49 indicates that Avram Davidson decided to have
his characters deliberately use "Unexplained Aerial Phenomena
Coordinating Corps" as a euphemism for "Flying Saucer Club". Arguably,
"Unexplained Aerial Phenomena" is also more accurate than "flying
saucer". But the overarching goal of the characters is probably to
reduce the stigma.

[ref] 1958 April, The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Volume
14, Number 4, The Grantha Sighting by Avram Davidson, Start Page 48,
Mercury Press, New York. (Internet Archive; Verified with scans)
[/ref]

https://archive.org/details/Fantasy_Science_Fiction_v014n04_1958-04_PDF

Double check these excerpts for OCR errors.

[Begin excerpt from page 48]
"This is Si Haffner, this is Miss Anderson, this is Lou DelBello—all
members of the Unexplained Aerial Phenomena Coordinators, too.
[End excerpt from page 48]

[Begin excerpt from page 49]
". . .Si Haffner, and Joe Trobridge—as well as myself. Long Tom—all
members of that interesting organization you've heard of before on our
five-hour conversations over Station WRO, sometimes called familiarly
the Flying Saucer Club, but known officially as the Unexplained Aerial
Phenomena Coordinating Corps. Well. Quite a mouthful.
[End excerpt from page 49]

[Begin excerpt from page 50]
"Yes, Lou," Joe leaped into the breach, "the same people who didn't
believe Columbus and are now so scornful of all the various and
innumerable U.A.P. sightings, well, the same type people, I mean —some
certain individuals . . ."
[End excerpt from page 50]

[Begin excerpt from page 54]
At first they all talked at once, then all fell silent. Finally, one
man said, "I'm Joe Trobridge of the U.A.P.C.C. — the Unexplained
Aerial — listen, a sighting was reported in this vicinity!"
[End excerpt from page 54]

I checked the OED for "U.A.P", "Aerial Phenomena", and "Aerial
Phenomena". The only match was the irrelevant entry: U.A.P. n. United
Australia Party.

Garson