[Ads-l] "which" = 'who'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Oct 23 23:55:02 UTC 2022

cf. OED, s.v. "which" II. 3. a(a):  With reference to persons. Now chiefly
regional or archaic, except when referring to a collective body or small
child.

There are several 17th and 18th century cites (including one from King
Lear), one from 1836 ("Dugald Stewart, one of the greatest men which Scotland
has produced") and one from Faulkner in 1940 ("He could almost see the
husband which she would someday have"), supporting the dictum that the past
isn't dead, it's not even past.

LH

P.S. It's probably relevant that neither of those last two cites actually
picks out a real-world individual