[Ads-l] New Earliest Citation for "Smog"

Mon Oct 24 17:42:11 UTC 2022

Fred was able to trace the publication of Ambrose Bierce's definition
of "fog" (which referred to "smog") back to the "Wasp" of San
Francisco in 1884. I do not know whether the "Wasp" has been scanned
and placed into a database.

Periodical: Yale Alumni Magazine
Date: Sep/Oct 2015
Article: Double duty - You can quote them: portmanteau coinages from
brunch to blog
Author:  Fred Shapiro

https://yalealumnimagazine.org/articles/4144-portmanteau

[Begin excerpt]
Ambrose Bierce, who would later write The Devil’s Dictionary, declared
in the Wasp (San Francisco) of December 6, 1884, that “Mr. Edmund
Yates, by combining the words ‘smoke’ and ‘fog,’ gave to the London
atmosphere the graphic name of ‘smog.’”
[End excerpt]

Garson