[Ads-l] "Posterize" Not in OED

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 29 21:02:09 UTC 2022

See my 2012 post on "posterize," dating it back to 1991 (Michael Wilbon in
the Washington Post).

https://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2012-February/116030.html

The Merriam-Webster definition that Fred quotes was drafted by Stefan
Fatsis, who embedded himself at Merriam for a book project to learn the art
of defining. Stefan talked about working on the "posterize" entry on the
Slate sports podcast that he co-hosts, Hang Up and Listen:

https://slate.com/podcasts/hang-up-and-listen/2021/02/the-australian-open-g-league-ignite-and-anthony-edwards-dunk-on-hang-up-and-listen
(starting at ~1:03:15)

...and Stefan talked about the M-W entry some more on the Slate podcast
that I co-hosted, Spectacular Vernacular:

https://slate.com/podcasts/spectacular-vernacular/2021/11/taylor-swift-keychain-lyric-madeline-kripke-collection
(starting at ~23:50)