[Ads-l] "heat" = fastball (1967)

Thu Sep 1 23:39:34 UTC 2022

Great work Ben and Grant.
Here is a pertinent use of "heat" in June 1962. Baseball player Leon
Wagner used the phrase "he put some heat on us" to refer to the
opposing pitcher Earl Wilson of the Red Sox who had recently pitched a
no-hitter over Los Angeles at Fenway Park.

Date: June 28, 1962
Newspaper: The Boston Herald
Newspaper Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Article: Wilson Catching Up with Belinsky
Article subtitle: Syd Cohen Made Earl a Pitcher in Arizona-Texas League in '53
Author: Bud Collins
Quote Page 41, Column ??
Database: GenealogyBank

[End excerpt – please double check for typos]
Sal Maglie, the pitching coach who says the best single pitch Wilson
threw was "the slider on 3-2 that struck out Earl Averill in the
seventh," kept sniping at his illustrious protege. "We're still
running every day, Earl," he shouted into the dugout. "Would you mind
joining your fellow pitchers in a little trot if you can tear yourself
away from the microphones?"

Wilson knew he could expect a good zinging from everybody, but he rose
quickly from the bench and joined the rest of the horses in sprints
across the outfield grass. "Can't neglect my running—this ain't a day
off," he said.

As he ran, the Angels were hanging around the batting cage, sinewy
Leon Wagner leading the discussion. "Man, he put some heat on us, all
right," said Leon. "He earned that thing. I know I was goin’ for the
flag pole—I didn't want to be in no no-hitter.
[End excerpt]

Garson O’Toole
QuoteInvestigator.com