[Ads-l] Help Sought on Antedatings of "Hispanic"

Sat Sep 3 05:29:14 UTC 2022

In 1941 show business publication “Variety” used the plural noun
hispanics to refer to Spanish speaking people in South America.

[ref] 1941 January 8, Variety, Radio: Invitation to Tango, Quote Page
99, Column 3, Los Angeles, California. (ProQuest) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Don’t look now, but that man studying Spanish at the luncheon table is
an American broadcaster. After he learns to habla espagnol and how to
get ham and eggs when he orders ham and eggs he’ll be part of the U.
S. A. good will movement. Whatever else he may be, as he fumbles with
the Spanish dictionary and wonders if, according to native custom, he
now knows Don Jose well enough to embrace him when they meet, it must
be hard for anybody but a Nazi to see this faintly embarrassed Yankee
in the menacing role of a conquistador.

The worst thing that South Americans are reported to have said about
certain American broadcasters is that they are too business-like. They
rush the coffee and cigars. The Yankee good willers will have to get
into an easier tempo. Less haste, less bicarbonate of soda—to quote a
sage of Montevideo.

This is 1492 all over again. Anglo-Saxons are saying to Latins such
sappy things as ‘where have you been all our lives ?’ The hispanics
smile at this, not having been any place for 400 years. They have been
waiting to be introduced.
[End excerpt]

Garson