[Ads-l] Further Antedating of Modern Sense of "Hispanic"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Sep 5 20:33:35 UTC 2022

Hispanic (OED, adj. 2, 1974)

1918 _N.Y. Times_ 27 June 10/5 (ProQuest)  The celebration of the Fourth of July can not pass unnoticed by Spaniards and Spanish-speaking peoples. ... We, the Hispanic people, always adventurous ones, men who have known how to make a second fatherland in all corners of the earth, we do not do like other peoples have.

1922 _L.A. Times_ 7 May part II, page 1, column 1 (Newspapers.com)  Mexicans and Spaniards of better class, and the workmen, too, want something in drama and opera now and then. ... These prompters' boxes obtain with the Hispanic peoples.

Fred Shapiro