[Ads-l] "vehicle-agnostic"

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 8 00:32:19 UTC 2022

Of the three sources I checked, Wiktionary is best at pointing out that “-agnostic” can be used outside of electronics.

Wiktionary
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/agnostic <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/agnostic>
• (computing) Of a software component etc.: unaware or noncommittal regarding the specific nature of the components or input with which it interacts.
The socket communications layer is agnostic with regard to its underlying transport mechanism—it is “transport-agnostic”.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/vendor-agnostic <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/vendor-agnostic>
Not tied to the products of a specific manufacturer.
The vendor-agnostic solution could be implemented with any off-the-shelf hardware.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/agnostic <https://www.dictionary.com/browse/agnostic>
(especially of digital technology) not limited or dedicated to a particular device, system, etc. (often used in combination): platform agnostic software.

Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/agnostic <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/agnostic>
not preferring a particular device or system —usually used after a noun "Children are platform agnostic," said Alice Cahn, vice-president of development for Cartoon Network. "If you want to look foolish with a preschooler, say, 'Sorry, you can't watch that. It's not on.' It's TiVoed, it's online, it's on video on demand.”

designed to be compatible with different devices (such as computers or smartphones) or operating systems —usually used after a noun content that is OS agnostic
The application is platform-agnostic, so it can work on your tablet or cell phone.

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA