[Ads-l] Adage: Always verify your quotations

Pete Morris mr_peter_morris at OUTLOOK.COM
Mon Sep 12 14:01:53 UTC 2022

I would think that this advice is almost as old as academic writing.

Here's a few earlier cites.

=========================

January, 1811.  And presumably the quoted work is older, if it has
been quoted accurately.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_Wesleyan_Methodist_Magazine/SREEAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=verify+quotes&pg=PA106&printsec=frontcover

Dr Magee in some parts of his publication calls for authorities
to verify their assertions and we now follow his example  and call
upon him to verify his quotation from the preface to Mr Wesley's
Hymns....

==========================

1847

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Pamphlets_on_Missions/THFOAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=verify+quotes&pg=RA9-PA8&printsec=frontcover

... while in the matter of quotations, to verify what one quotes is
all that the severest criticism calls for.

===========================

1842

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Lucilla_or_The_Reading_of_the_Bible_tran/qRRhAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=verify+quotes&pg=PA191&printsec=frontcover

This will oblige you, Madam, to verify the quotations yourself.

1845

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_United_States_Catholic_Magazine_and/ikA9AAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=verify+quotes&pg=PA342&printsec=frontcover

... he must minutely examine and thoroughly sift the original
authorities ;
  he must verify his references ; must see whether he has given the true
sense of the authors he quotes , whether he garbles passages , whether
he omits portions  ...