[Ads-l] Neglected Popular Sense of "Schizophrenia" and "Schizophrenic"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 14 03:33:40 UTC 2022

AHD5 has this somewhat censorious Usage Note:

Usage Note: Mental health advocates point out that the figurative use of schizophrenic to mean “displaying disparate or antagonistic elements” arises from misconceptions about schizophrenia and that this figurative use impedes efforts to educate the public about schizophrenia.

When I was growing up and first becoming acquainted with the term, I did indeed gather it referred to split personality or what I later learned should be called multiple personality disorder.  This would have been in the 1950s. Webster’s NID3 (1961) has “split personality” as the second sense for “schizophrenia” after the (much longer) psychiatrically correct (at the time) first sense.

LH