[Ads-l] diverse-owned Re: ADS-L Digest - 8 Sep 2022 to 10 Sep 2022 (#2022-225)

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Wed Sep 14 12:43:50 UTC 2022

On 9/14/22 00:00, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
> Date:    Tue, 13 Sep 2022 13:30:05 +0000
> From:    Geoffrey Nathan<geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU>
> Subject: Re: diverse-owned Re: ADS-L Digest - 8 Sep 2022 to 10 Sep 2022 (#2022-225)
>
> Agreed.
> And, FWIW, I’ve actually heard 'a diverse student' (used by an
> enrollment management official at a university).
>
> Geoff

Yup. Makes me freakin' crazier. Say what you bloody-well mean, is what I
want to say.

Going a little astray here, following up on Zola's response, is the
euphemism also a bit of erasure, if you will? Or an attempt to not
appear racist by using a label like black, AA, Latino, Arabic, Middle
Eastern, North African, Indian, Asian, etc.? Are people avoiding those
labels that call up generalized physical traits (and let's recognize how
inadequate the label Latino/Hispanic is) in order to (appear to) be
color-blind (which we know is not necessarily a good thing because,
well, erasure). I'd say that we have some measure of erasure in the
labels "other" and "non-white" that Zola suggested that "diverse" is the
euphemism for. I dunno. I digress. Apologies.

---Amy West