[Ads-l] Article on non-use of "Latinx" in Spanish-speaking communities

Mark Mandel markamandel at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 14 14:19:17 UTC 2022

*Stop using ‘Latinx’ if you really want to be inclusive | Opinion*
<https://www.penncapital-star.com/commentary/stop-using-latinx-if-you-really-want-to-be-inclusive-opinion>
*As a Mexican-born, U.S.-raised scholar, I agree with the official
Argentine and Spanish stance on banning Latinx from the Spanish language –
English, too*
By Melissa K. Ochoa

Most of the debates on the usage of “Latinx” – pronounced “la-teen-ex” –
have taken place in the U.S. But the word has begun to spread into
Spanish-speaking countries – where it hasn’t exactly been embraced.

In July 2022, Argentina and Spain released public statements banning the
use of Latinx, or any gender-neutral variant. Both governments reasoned
that these new terms are violations of the rules of the Spanish language.

Latinx is used as an individual identity for those who are
gender-nonconforming, and it can also describe an entire population without
using “Latinos,” which is currently the default in Spanish for a group of
men and women.

As a Mexican-born, U.S.-raised scholar, I agree with the official Argentine
and Spanish stance on banning Latinx from the Spanish language – English,
too.

When I first heard Latinx in 2017, I thought it was progressive and
inclusive, but I quickly realized how problematic it was. Five years later,
Latinx is not commonly used in Spanish-speaking countries, nor is it used
by the majority of those identifying as Hispanic or Latino in the U.S.

In fact, there’s a gender-inclusive term that’s already being used by
Spanish-speaking activists that works as a far more natural replacement.

*Click headline for full story*