[Ads-l] Antedating of "Rocket" (Modern Sense)

Sat Sep 24 22:15:00 UTC 2022

Following Fred’s lead:
Below are two patent applications from Robert H. Goddard for a Rocket
Apparatus. The first patent application has a filing date of Oct 1,
1913, and appeared in the Gazette on July 7, 1914.

The second patent application has a filing date of May 15, 1914, and
appeared in the Gazette on July 14, 1914.

The OED lists different senses for rocket, n.5 I. The distinctions are
complicated and somewhat technical (to me). I do not fully understand
the different senses listed under 1, 2, and 3 in the OED. So someone
else will have to examine these early rocket designs from Robert H.
Goddard.

Date: July 7, 1914
Periodical: Official Gazette of the United States Patent Office
Publisher: Government Printing Office, Washington D.C.

https://books.google.com/books?id=sHQbAQAAMAAJ&q=rocket#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt - double check for typos]
1,102,653 ROCKET APPARATUS ROBERT H GODDARD
Worcester, Mass. Filed Oct. 1, 1913. Serial No.
792,707 (Cl. 102-2.)

1. In a rocket apparatus, in combination, a primary rocket, comprising
a combustion chamber and a firing tube, a secondary rocket mounted in
said firing tube, and means for firing said secondary rocket when the
explosive in the primary rocket is substantially consumed.

2. In a rocket apparatus, in combination, a combustion chamber
containing an explosive and a rearwardly extended tapered tube
connected with said chamber through which the gaseous products of
combustion are discharged, said tube being in the form of a truncated
cone of slight taper and having its length equal to not less than
three times its longest diameter.
[End excerpt]