[Ads-l] antedating AmeriKKKa

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Tue Sep 27 01:22:46 UTC 2022

Note that the OED has long had a cite from 9-23 February 1970, in the _Ann Arbor Argus_, earlier than the Black World example. Here's another one from 23 Feb. 1970 from a larger circulation periodical, in an article on the Black Panthers:

1970 _Newsweek_ 23 Feb. 29/1 Yet the controlling metaphor--the ghetto as the colony and 'ameriKKKa' as mother country--has never varied.

https://archive.org/details/newsweek75jannewy/page/n655/mode/2up

But here's earlier, tied with yours for March 1969:

1969 _People's World_ 8 Mar. 1/4 What they [sc. the military-industrial complex] were really about, he [sc. Bobby Seale, chairman of the Black Panthers] said, was to protect the development of 'technical tools to sustain and defend Amerikkka, the haven of oppressive capitalism, and imperialist exploitation throughout the world.'

https://archive.org/details/sim_peoples-world_1969-03-08_32_10/mode/2up

There are many other examples of the form, variously capitalized, in 1969 issues of _The Black Panther_, but none as early as March.

Jesse Sheidlower
[who drafted the OED entry in question, if he recalls correctly]