[Ads-l] "mug shot" (1935)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 5 14:46:37 UTC 2023

Earlier cites for the verb "mug":

---
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/122314965/mugged-in-police-parlance/
Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Aug. 20, 1872, p. 3, col. 1
She was (in police parlance), "mugged" this morning, that is, she had her
picture taken and added to the rogues' gallery.
---
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/122315099/mugged-for-the-rogues-gallery/
Buffalo Evening Post, Feb. 6, 1875, p. 3, col, 1
The faces above related, with reference to Johnston's movements were
obtained in an interview which our reporter had with the prisoner this
morning, upon his being brought back from a photograph gallery where he had
been "mugged" for the rogues gallery at police headquarters.
---

And earlier still for the noun (when its meaning shifted from "face" to
"photograph or likeness of a face"):

---
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/122315442/his-mug-was-taken/
National Republican (Washington, DC), Feb. 6, 1863, p. 3, col. 1
Prior to his being committed, by order of Superintendent Webb his "mug" was
taken and placed In the "rogues' gallery."
---
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/122315760/have-his-mug-taken/
National Republican (Washington, DC), Mar. 28, 1863, p. 2, col. 6
When asked by the superintendent if he would consent to have his mug taken,
he refused. [...] His mug graces the Rogues' gallery.
---