[Ads-l] antedating "MIA"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 12 18:19:42 UTC 2023

Thanks, G.

Great sleuthing.

The impression I get (from print) is that relatively routine,
conversational use of "MIA" and "KIA" (certainly outside of the military)
didn't develop until the '70s.  Nor do they appear much, if at all, in WW2
novels by veterans like (James Jones, Norman Mailer, et al.) - or WW2
nonfiction.

JL