[Ads-l] ufo, etc.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 13 15:52:51 UTC 2023

 1953 Project Blue Book Report, Jones Beach, N.Y. (Sept. 3)  [3]: RE PAR 53
AFR 2 23-2 UFOB CLN.

1953 Project Blue Book Report, Holloman AFB, N.M. (Oct. 7) 2: SUBJ
UFOB...THE UFOB WAS FIRST AND LAST SEEN IN THE VICINITY OF THE RKT VAPOR
TRAIL.

<http://goog_337238598>
https://archive.org/details/1953-09-6979770-JonesBeach-NewYork/page/n3/mode/2up?q=UFOB

https://archive.org/details/1953-10-6980981-Holloman-NewMexico/page/n1/mode/2up?q=UFOB

Both antedate OED's first ex. of "UFO" (Nov., 1953).

The acronym UFOB is routinely used (along with "UFO" in running text) in
Blue Book Reports for the next fifteen years:

1968 Project Blue Book Report, Redlands, Calif. (Feb. 4) 6: UFOB WORKSHEET.

https://archive.org/details/1968-02-6889701-Redlands-California/page/n5/mode/2up?q=UFOB

1975 David Michael Jacobs _The UFO Controversy in America_ (Bloomington:
Indiana U.P.) 134: Hardin, Hynek, and members of the 4602d devised a "UFOB
Guide" for this purpose.

JL