[Ads-l] "Birther" Not in OED

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 7 02:55:26 UTC 2023

I posted about "birther" here in Mar. 2009:

https://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2009-March/088818.html

In the Winter 2010 installment of "Among the New Words" in _American
Speech_ 85(4), Charles Carson took "birther" back to Dec. 2008.

https://read.dukeupress.edu/american-speech/article-abstract/85/4/450/5905/Among-the-New-Words

Here's the earliest cite:

---
Jay Bookman (Atlanta Journal-Constitution blog), Dec. 11, 2008
Birthers, speak up now or forever hold your piece
Patrick Ruffini, a Republican media and Internet strategist (and parttime
blogger) has this to say to the birthers:
"The Obama citizenship smear hasn't gained traction in mainstream
conservative circles, but this is exactly the kind of stunt the left will
use to tar all conservatives and silence legitimate criticism of Obama and
his policies."
---

Archived link:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120503113006/http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/bookman/entries/2008/12/11/birthers_speak_up_now_or_forev.html