[Ads-l] Pertition

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 18 20:06:02 UTC 2023

You'll find lots of similar "r" spellings in 19th-century US sources, like
"proberbly" and "princerple," as I discussed in these old posts:

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english/c/AlE6bFg5G7I/m/qZXAaV7TJYcJ
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/004985.html

My sense is these spellings could be construed as either non-rhotic (with
"er" representing an eye-dialect version of schwa) or rhotic (with "er"
representing an r-colored schwa), depending on the speaker in question. In
the case of "pertition," I could imagine some influence from "perdition"
encouraging the non-standard spelling.

--bgz