[Ads-l] NYC English a prefixing.

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Aug 19 20:12:26 UTC 2023

Not sure how we can infer that there’s a “semantic limitation to food gathering activities”, even if we limit the parameters to late 18th century usage in the Northeast. In our YGDP entry on a-prefixing, , we cite the following example from the laws of Yale College, imposed in 1795, crediting Corky Feagin (1979: 116) with the find:

"If any Scholar shall go a-fishing or sailing, or more than two miles from the College, upon any occasion, without leave from the President, a Professor, or a Tutor, ... he may be fined not exceeding thirty-four cents.”

Granted, fishing counts as (attempted) food gathering but sailing doesn’t. (I’m pretty sure the law in no longer in effect, or at least it hasn’t been indexed for inflation.)

LH