[Ads-l] mummy wheat, 1832

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Sun Dec 3 05:56:13 UTC 2023

OEDO 1842.

1832  *The Charleston Daily Courier* (Charleston, South Carolina) 13 Oct 2/4
Who ever heard,
Of all the things to eat,
Of food like this--
Ycleped “Mummy Wheat?”

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-charleston-daily-courier-mummy-wheat/136190070/

[1832  *Georgia Telegraph* (Macon, Georgia) 31 Oct 3/4  A fine patch of
wheat is now growing in France from seed, upwards of 2000 years old,
taken from an Egyptian Mummy. The wheat is similar to that of the
present day.]

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-weekly-telegraph-mummy-wheat-phrase/136189880/

[1832  *The Greensboro Patriot* (Greensboro, North Carolina) 31 Oct 3/3
Old Wheat. A fine patch of wheat is now growing in France from seed 2000
years old, taken from an old English Mummy. The wheat is similar to that
of the present day. Our Devil inclines to the belief that they had no
*weavels* in that country!]

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-greensboro-patriot-mummy-wheat-the/136189704/

[1836  *Public Ledger* (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) 14 Dec 2/1 *Egyptian
Wheat.*-- Within the enclosures of the Egyptian mummies, wheat has been
found, which, when dipped in oil and planted deep in golden pots, has
grown and produced good seed!
   We see nothing improbable in this, though the golden pots and
planting deep are no essential parts of the process. The air of the
catacombs of Egypt is exceedingly dry, and rendered very pure by the
oxygen emitted by the asphaltus used in embalming. No vegetable
decomposition can proceed without water. Therefore we should suppose
that whent, in such an atmosphere, would soon become perfectly dry, and
then remain unchanged for centuries.]

https://www.newspapers.com/article/public-ledger-mummy-wheat-indirectly-at/136190672/

1841  *The Ipswich Journal* (Ipswich, Suffolk, England) 25 Sep 3/7  He
begged to introduce to the meeting a specimen of the long-talked of
Egyptian wheat, for which he was indebted to the kindness of Dr.
Kerrison. (Loud applause.) The specimen he introduced was an ear of
resuscitated “mummy” wheat, raised this season from seed which there is
just cause to assert can boast of little less antiquity than 3000 years.

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-ipswich-journal-mummy-wheat/136189414/

--
James Eric Lawson