[Ads-l] "Open Source" Not in OED

dave@wilton.net dave at WILTON.NET
Mon Dec 4 16:20:32 UTC 2023

That's probably correct. I can find no other uses of "open source" in relation to software before 1998. (I haven't looked too hard, though. They may be out there.) It seems the 1989 use I found is a one-off usage in the sense of published but not necessarily available for license.

Two early uses of "open source" in the current software sense are:

Eisenberg, Rebecca. “Netscape Decodes.” San Francisco Examiner, 5 April 1998, D-7/2. ProQuest Historical Newspapers.
“Why is Netscape so confident that programmers will in fact improve the software? Given the popularity of other open source products (for example Linux, which Infoworld recently dubbed the Best Software Product of 1997 for technical support), Netscape has good reason to believe that users will have myriad reasons to work on the browser code.”

McComb, Gordon (Copley News Service). “It’s Not All Windows in Linux Land.” Times (Trenton, NJ), 26 July 1998, EM8/2. Readex: America’s Historical Newspapers.
“Torvalds may have been the original designer of Linux, but others have participated in its growth. Linux was released as ‘open source’ code, meaning that every program line of the operating system could be viewed, and modified, by others. Other programmers got into the act, and soon an all-volunteer development team of several thousand contributed to enhancing the basic Linux.”

-----Original Message-----
From: "Amy West" <medievalist at W-STS.COM>
Sent: Monday, December 4, 2023 7:58am
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] "Open Source" Not in OED

Garson probably can chime in here and speak more intelligibly than I
can. In conversation with my husband (who is part of the humanitarian
free and open source software [HFOSS] community) about this the other
day, he said that the term was preceded by the use of "free software",
based on Stallman's terminology. He said that there's not only the idea
of having the code but being able to alter and share the code, which is
a licensing thang. He said that the use of "open source" is a
comparatively recent development/shift in terminology. (And note that
his community uses both "free" and "open" in their labeling.) (And
you're getting my husband's explanation filtered through my "spousal
listening" filter.)

---Amy West