[Ads-l] Antedating of "square" and "Squaresville"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 8 22:13:52 UTC 2023

In prehistory:

1862 _Leavenworth Daily Conservative_ (Sept. 21) 1: We are now prepared to
forward, with safety and dispatch,...packages of every description, in
charge of special messengers, to Olathe, Squaresville, Paola,...and all the
principal places in southern Kansas.

1891 _Cincinnati  Enquirer_ (Nov. 10) 5: Either that, or he will have to
"go to Squaresville" - that is, settle up.

1899 _Fort Wayne Gazette_ (March 28) 6: Morgan Murphy joined the Phillies
two days late, but got to "Squaresville" with a tale about washouts and
delayed trains.

1902 _Cincinnati Enquirer_ (Nov. 16) 10: They often went to Squaresville
with the story after the sale of a popular player's release

JL