[Ads-l] Quip: A psychologist / sociologist / semiotician tells you what you already know in a language that you cannot understand

Mon Dec 11 00:31:52 UTC 2023

A request to explore the joke in the subject line was sent to me via
x-twitter. The earliest match I found appeared within the "Proceedings
of the New York Farmers ". A meeting was held in New York City in
February 1898. An unnamed farmer received credit for a version of the
gibe aimed at the entire field of science:

[ref] 1898, Proceedings of the New York Farmers, Season 1897/98, The
“New York Farmers”, Start Page 37, Quote Page 49, Print John Ward, New
York.  (HathiTrust Full View) link [/ref]

https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uiuo.ark:/13960/s2j16vffn7t?urlappend=%3Bseq=51

[Begin excerpt]
Years ago, after talking with a farmer - not a tobacco grower -
regarding some reasons for thorough tillage, he paused in his work and
remarked meditatively: "Science consists largely in telling people
things which they already know, in a language which they cannot
understand!"
[End excerpt]

The Quote Investigator article is here:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2023/12/10/already-know/