[Ads-l] on days ending in the letter Y

Betty Birner bbirner at NIU.EDU
Tue Dec 12 16:55:19 UTC 2023

In a play on that edict, in the 1957 movie An Affair To Remember, Terry (played by Deborah Kerr) tells Nickie (Cary Grant), "It's just that my mother told me never to enter a man's room in months ending in 'R'."

Betty

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> On Behalf Of Laurence Horn
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2023 7:26 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: on days ending in the letter Y

Is there a tacit allusion in all of these to the edict that one should only eat oysters in months containing the letter “R”?  Presumably that one was around a lot longer than the jocular version with days ending in “Y”.  I learned it from my parents in the early 1950s and no doubt it had a longer shelf life (unlike the oysters, one hopes) than that.

LH