[Ads-l] "Winning is the best deodorant"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 19 21:37:07 UTC 2023

Nice work on the Liz Taylor front, Garson. One biographer takes it back
even further:

---
https://archive.org/details/elizabethtaylorp0000cash/page/164/mode/2up?q=deodorant
Ellis Cashmore, _Elizabeth Taylor: A Private Life for Public Consumption_,
2016, p. 164
It was in the 1964 Meryman interview that Taylor first uttered a line that
could have served as her motto: "I have learned however that there's no
deodorant like success."
---

The interview with Richard Meryman was in the Dec 18, 1964 issue of _Life_,
with the quote appearing on p. 82, col. 1:

https://books.google.com/books?id=kFEEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA82

--Ben