[Ads-l] Antedating of Bird (Obscene Gesture)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 17 17:23:53 UTC 2023

The cartoon is here (with the dialogue in question at 1:37):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYR8wSmbk9w

Since Catstello doesn't make the gesture (or even gesture toward the
gesture), we don't definitively know what he's referring to. But since
"give (someone) the bird" previously meant "to express one's disapproval
vocally" (esp. in vaudeville usage), perhaps Catstello was implying that
the Hays Office wouldn't let him use rude *language* toward Babbit, rather
than rude finger-flipping (or whatever the feline equivalent would be).

--bgz