[Ads-l] QOTY possibility

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Feb 21 00:52:41 UTC 2023

The last words didn't make it into the Times's obituary, which was
nevertheless quite entertaining.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/19/arts/television/richard-belzer-dead.html

I especially enjoyed this bit:

His life began turning around in the mid-1980s, when Mr. Belzer survived
testicular cancer, quit drugs and married Harlee McBride, a former Playboy
model and actress. In 1990, he found financial stability in a
characteristically absurd and brutal fashion. Five years earlier, Hulk
Hogan, demonstrating <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7n_SHrK408&t=8s> a
wrestling move on Mr. Belzer on TV, knocked out the comic and dropped him
headfirst to the ground. An out-of-court settlement enabled Mr. Belzer and
Ms. McBride to buy a home in France, which they called variously the Hulk
Hogan Estate and Chez Hogan.

I wonder if Hulk is taking on new experimental wrestlers; it might just be
worth the cracked skull...

LH

P.S. Or maybe not. I just noticed on another site that Belzer later
commented to Roy Firestone about the incident with Hogan, "He came very
close to killing me. I was told by a sports medicine expert that if I had
fallen a few inches either way I could have been crippled for life, I could
have been dead."