[Ads-l] Possible Further Antedating of "Woke" and "Stay Woke"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 21 19:47:20 UTC 2023

I recall reading or hearing the phrase "wake up and stay woke" in the
radical early '70s.

That suggests that Fred's 1934 ex. is indeed relevant, though in
neither case does "woke" carry the overt, specifically political sense
that it's acquired in recent years from frequent repetition.

JL