[Ads-l] Antedating of "Yahtzee"

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 28 01:49:40 UTC 2023

The most plausible scenario that ran through my head was transmission of the dice game from India to Tibet since they share a border, and the word yakṣī was retained with the game. The tourists overheard the Tibetan pronunciation and used it in a pun with their yacht. “si" is also a reasonable pronunciation of 子, which is a noun marker in Mandarin, and the annexation of Tibet happened in 1950, so many variations can be imagined.

If the Bolivian pouch is still 1,000 years old, then the Manifesto website I cited remains laughably unreliable. I’m sure a story could be dreamt up for Hebrew, too. After all, the Jews have been in China for more than a millennium (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaifeng_Jews; Pearl S Buck wrote a novel about them) and had plenty of time and contact to spread their language.

But I agree the story is interesting and entertaining, but no more than that without something more tangible.

FWIW
Benjamin Barrett (he/him/his)
Formerly os Seattle, WA