[Ads-l] Antedating of "Bazooka"

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Sun Jan 1 09:06:53 UTC 2023

1942  _Hinton Daily News_ (West Virginia) 06 May 5/1 Soldiers at Fort
Warren, Wyo., test a "bazooka" (over log rampart), Army's new weapon
which can be carried by a lone man and enables him to [illegible] out
pillbox gun emplacements.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/115562510/bazooka/

On 12/31/22 12:33, Peter Reitan wrote:
> I have a history of “bazooka” and “kazoo” on my blog.
>
> https://esnpc.blogspot.com/2017/05/bazoo-kazoo-bazooka-from-playful.html
>
> The earliest example of “bazooka,” for the hand-held rocket launcher, is January 1, 1943.
>
> “There is one weapon which, with typical Yankee impudence, already has been nicknamed the “Bazooka,” because of its resemblance to Comedian Bob Burns’ famous musical instrument.”
>
> Detroit Free Press, January 1, 1943.
> https://www.newspapers.com/clip/10385055/detroit-free-press/

James Eric Lawson