[Ads-l] Humorous Serial Comma Examples =?utf-8?Q?=E2=80=94_?=Are They Genuine or Apocryphal?

dave@wilton.net dave at WILTON.NET
Sun Jan 1 14:22:25 UTC 2023

Over the past few days I've struggled to find humorous examples of where inclusion of the serial comma creates ambiguity, but I've come up empty. I think the reason is that the ambiguity (usually?) arises out of confusion with an appositive phrase. Where the appositive would be silly, humor arises.

"My parents, Ayn Rand and God" is funny (the first time) but not ambiguous.

"My parents, Mary and John" is ambiguous but not funny.

When it comes to using the serial comma:

"Kendall Jenner, a woman in a hijab, and positive messaging" is ambiguous but not funny.

"Mitt Romney, a woman in a hijab, and positive messaging" is funny but not ambiguous.

"Mitt Romney, a woman in a hijab and positive messaging" is neither funny nor ambiguous.

(These last are modifications of an example given by Stan Carey.)

By avoiding the serial comma, any humor arising out of confusion with the appositive is also avoided. But ambiguity can result from either using or avoiding the serial comma.