[Ads-l] Antedating of "Goof Off"

Sun Jan 1 15:19:25 UTC 2023

Green’s Dictionary of Slang (GDoS) has eight senses for the verb "goof off".
https://greensdictofslang.com/entry/j2sbrqi

The earliest citation in GDoS is for the following sense:

[Begin excerpt from GDoS]
2. to blunder; to wreck.
1939 [US] Army and Navy Register (US) 18 Nov. 3/2: ‘Goof off,’ to make
a mistake.
[End excerpt from GDoS]

JL’s Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang (HDAS) has a
1941 citation (as mentioned by JL):

[Begin excerpt from HDAS]
goof off v. 1. Esp. Mil. To blunder; fumble; GOOF, v., 5. A.
1941 Hargrove  Pvt. Hargrove 84: Goof-off – to make a mistake.
[End excerpt from HDAS]

Like Fred, I did not attempt a comprehensive search. For this term, I
just looked in GDoS, HDAS, and OED.

Garson