[Ads-l] Antedating of "Goof Off"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 1 20:10:16 UTC 2023

1938 Honolulu Advertiser  (Aug. 18) 11: Two infield errors....The shortstop
threw wild and then the third basemen [sic] goofed off.

Here it seems to mean to squander or waste:

1938 Springfield [Mo.] Leader and Press (May 22) D-1:  Jimmie Renfro,
the...pro golfer from Fort Worth, Texas,..bumped into...tough luck....In
the city jail, Jimmie [sic] moaned, 'To think, after all the dough I have
goofed off in my time, that I have to stay in this can for a lousy $9.15."

 Ibid. (Oct. 27) 9: Day admitted that he took the money, that he had spent
$50 of it as the down payment on an auto and 'goofed off' $24 more.

JL