[Ads-l] Antedating of "Shaggy Dog Story"

Mon Jan 2 21:55:30 UTC 2023

Thanks for sharing this important citation, Fred.
It has been noticed before. Stephen Goranson posted it to the ADS list
in October 2019. Barry Popik clipped it in April 2022, and Jonathan
Lighter also found it previously.

https://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2019-October/155832.html
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/99039398/shaggy-dog-story-1918/

Now, I’ve updated the Quote Investigator article on this topic to
include this citation. The update should be visible within 48 hours.
The QI article about the origin of the shaggy dog tale begins with a
1906 citation.

Shaggy Dog Story
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2019/11/16/shaggy/

Garson