[Ads-l] Originator of "Geronimo"

Bill Mullins amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 3 00:40:34 UTC 2023

https://www.newspapers.com/image/855336117/?terms=%22aubrey%20eberhardt%22%20geronimo&match=1

1941 Columbus Ledger 27 Apr 11/5

Pointing to a newly-erected sign in the area of the 501st Parachute battalion, Sgt. Aubrey Eberhardt, (left) a member of the original test platoon and originator of the battle cry of the paratroopers, explains to Private Charles Pickett, a new recruit in the battalion, one of the most important steps in jumping just before Private Pickett goes down to the field for his first jump.  "First you jump out -- then GERONIMO," he says.  As members of the battalion jump from the planes they yell "Geronimo" to show that they aren't frightened.  "If we are scared," Sgt. Eberhardt explained, "we wouldn't remember what to yell."