[Ads-l] Antedating of "Good Fences Make Good Neighbors"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 4 01:15:18 UTC 2023

Yes, agreed--I love that it was from a Vermonter. (Although I'm
half-expecting someone will antedate it with a cite from New Jersey.) I
think of Frost's echt Northern New Englandy "Mending Wall", where the
narrator keeps telling his neighbor that "something there is that does not
like a wall" while the neighbor keeps stubbornly insisting "good fences
make good neighbors". In the end, the narrator is willing to grant the
neighbor might be right but only when there are cows.

LH