[Ads-l] bombogenesis

mailbox grammarphobia.com mailbox at GRAMMARPHOBIA.COM
Thu Jan 5 17:35:25 UTC 2023

My husband and I wrote a post last year about the uses of “bomb” and other explosive terms in connection with weather (“weather bomb,” “cyclone bomb,” “bombogensis,” etc.).

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2022/05/bomb-cyclone.html

It notes OED citations for “bombogenesis” from 1989. We also says that though bombogenesis” was known to science in the late 1980s, it didn’t appear in popular journalism until around 2015.

Pat O'Conner

Date:    Wed, 4 Jan 2023 19:42:21 -0500
From:    Mark Mandel <markamandel at GMAIL.COM>
Subject: bombogenesis

Just spotted in this online article:

California holds its breath as an atmospheric river and bomb cyclone
approach
January 4, 2023 3:39 PM ET
https://www.npr.org/2023/01/04/1146929358/california-storm-update-atmospheric-river-bomb-cyclone

Photo caption:
A powerful storm — seen here at 11 a.m. PT — underwent bombogenesis and
intensified as it neared the West Coast on Wednesday, the National Weather
Service says.
[NOAA/NESDIS/STAR GOES-18]

Text paragraph:
As the system arrives, many areas will also be confronted with the effects
of a bomb cyclone: The powerful system was seen "undergoing bombogenesis"
off California's northern coast, the NWS office in Sacramento said on
Wednesday, referring to the rapid intensification of a midlatitude cyclone.

Mark Mandel

------------------------------

It was popularized in late 2019 along with "atmospheric river" and other
new climate terms.
https://www.greenbiz.com/article/climate-change-and-new-language-weather

Nancy Friedman
Chief Wordworker