[Ads-l] antedating '=?UTF-8?Q?=C3=86sopian'=2C_?=OEDO 1688

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Fri Jan 6 21:43:24 UTC 2023

These resurface the issue RE adoption into English from another language
mentioned by Laurence Horn on 17dec2022. See

https://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2022-December/162797.html

To which I reply that such hairsplitting is, finally, the province of
the OED lexicographers and editors. I did see a good summary discussion
of the issues considered by OED in, I think, Philip Durkin's excellent
2014 _Borrowed Words_. So I do consider the issue, but my criteria are
probably and usually less rigorous than the criteria *formerly* used by OED.

Title:
A decacordon of ten quodlibeticall questions concerning religion and
state wherein the authour framing himfelfe [sic] a quilibet to euery
quodlibet, decides an hundred crosse interrogatorie doubts, about the
generallcontentions betwixt the seminarie priests and Iesuits at this
present.
Type: Book
Author: 1559?-1603 W. W. (William Watson)
Date: 1602
Archive: Early English Books Online 2

Extract: To say they haue them immediatly from God, I thinke they will
not: but yet if they dare say so (as who can tel what giddy heads puffed
vp with swelling pride, impudency & insolency wil say or do, when it
stands thē vpon to stand to their tacklings, or else haue all their
followers & disciples forsake them:) then first it wil be demanded per
quā regulam do they proue it? Secondly, what testimony or witnesse haue
they for it? Thirdly, how, when & in what place was this new institution
of Ecclesiastiques promise granted, confirmed & ratified? Fourthly, by
what signe, tokē, wonder or miracle shal we know it is from God
immediatly: for miracles we must haue, for confir∣mations of all new
doctrine & approbation of ancient Catholike traditions, customes &
orders? Thirdly, what manner of man, vbi gentium, where was he borne,
whose sonne was he, where and how was he brought vp, how liued he, how
died he, that was the first author or illuminate of this innouation and
change? Sixtly and last of all, after all these things are examined and
knowne, and that with helpe of an Aesopian fable, they can bring vs into
a conceit of a Lucean Tower to be firmely built in the imaginatiue
horescope of their wandring zodiacke: yet will they all be proued by
this meanes to be flat forerunners of Antichrist, and Archinuenters of
new Puratinisme, worse then euer yet was heard of: or else made to do
publike pennance throughout all Churches in Christendome, confessing
before the whole world (as I pray God graunt them grace, humility and
patience to do it) what blind guides and seducers of innocent hearts,
they haue bene: leading many soules into eminent danger of perdition, by
arrogating to to much vnto themselues,
&c.

Term: Aesopian

Title:
Gynaikeion: or, Nine bookes of various history. Concerninge women
inscribed by ye names of ye nine Muses.
Type: Book