[Ads-l] New folk ety: "jarhead"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 9 14:37:01 UTC 2023

Quora.com:

"The Marines were formed as dedicated fighters who's sole purpose was to
board the enemy ship and step on necks. The only original requirement was
to be over 6ft tall. As ships we're built to conserve space, this lead to
many a Marine whacking their noggin' on the lamps illuminating the ships
interior. Hence they earned the moniker “Jarhead" after the jar lamps."

An accompanying photos show illustrate "jar lamps."

"Jarhead," of course, wasn't applied to U.S. Marines before WW2.

JL