[Ads-l] New folk ety: "jarhead"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 10 03:03:12 UTC 2023

Here's a good antedating from 1942:

1942 Bremerton Daily News Searchlight (July 23) II 1: When the doughboy,
gob, or jarhead walks down the street he misses the quick friendly smiles
of the folks back home.

Also enlightening:

1951 News and Courier (Charleston, S.C.) (May 27) 1: An ol-timer in the
Corps ia "jarhead." Incidentally, only Marines call other Marines thus.
It's a private epithet and not for the likes of us.

And here's a rare, forgotten sense:

1918 Trench and Camp (Camp Hancock, Ga.) (Oct. 16) 4: The Infantryman is a
"Doughboy." The Artilleryman is a "Jarhead" - although it makes him mad if
you call him one....A Marine is a "Devil Dog" or a "Leatherneck."

I assume that the artillery sense was originally (and possibly exclusively)
applied to members of mountain- or pack- artillery units, which utilized
mules to carry small howitzers. AFAIK,
field artillery relied solely on horses.

JL