[Ads-l] "gavel" antedatings

Tue Jan 10 21:37:31 UTC 2023

Here are two citations in the March 1837 issues of a periodical. In
the first citation, the gavil is struck three times to call an
assemblage to order.

In the second citation, the gavil is struck three times to initiate
the next stage of a ceremony.

These citations might be transitional between the ‘Masonic ritual’
sense and the ‘call for order’ sense.

I cannot access SG’s citation, so I do not know if the gavil makes a
sound in SG’s citation. The link contains proxy.lib.duke; hence it may
only work for computers with Duke library access.

Date: March 1837
Volume 1, Number 4
Periodical: The Covenant: A Quarterly Periodical Devoted to the Cause
of Odd-Fellowship
Quote Page 199
https://books.google.com/books?id=NHo4AQAAIAAJ&q=%22the+gavil%22#v=snippet

[Begin excerpt]
The M.W.G. Master called the assemblage to order by three distinct
sounds of the gavil, and the ceremonies of the day commenced by an
interesting prayer offered up by the R.W. Grand Chaplain, P.G. Samuel
Guest--after which a most beautiful anthem composed for the occasion
by brother John H. Hewitt was exquisitely sung by a choir . . .
[End excerpt]

Quote Page 202

[Begin excerpt]
The procession will enter the Theatre covered; after they are all in
and seated, the Grand Master will give three raps with the gavil, as a
signal for them to uncover.
[End excerpt]

Garson