[Ads-l] Antedating of "Malapropism"

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Thu Jan 12 23:35:40 UTC 2023

Well spotted, Garson (may I call you Garson?).

Not to "quibble or retract any praise" (well, I hope not to quibble
annoyingly, and certainly not to retract any praise), but I've read
(somewhere) that part of OED's editorial policy relates to avoiding
historical inaccuracies when using earlier dates for sources that
might include later changes; the OED editors and lexicographers
rigorously check, or they did at one time, against the possibility
of silent emendation. The policy aims to preserve the accuracy of
word histories.

I don't know if the issue matters to you at all. For my part, I tend
to use the date of publication to date citations, in this case as an
unnecessary hedge against the possibility that the editor of the
_Athenaeum_ altered the published version of the diary, or against
the possibility the diary was fabricated in order to "fill" the
issue.

Not that I'm claiming to be consistent; if it seems the editorial
pen has been light or absent entirely, and especially if there's a
reason to use conjectured dates (to support or contradict some
thesis about word use in the context of a historical event, for
example), I'm just as likely to use whatever earlier date I feel I
can adequately justify.

For the case at hand, of course, there's no reason to suppose the
editor of the _Athenaeum_ altered or contrived the material at all,
and so the earlier date (1825) is entirely likely.  Equally, it is
worthwhile to be reminded that any appearance in print is likely to
have been preceded by use in spoken language, not to mention
preceded by undiscovered print appearances.

James Eric Lawson