[Ads-l] Wokeness

Sun Jan 15 00:04:02 UTC 2023

Ben and co-authors discussed woke and wokeness here:
American Speech, Vol. 92, No. 2, May 2017, Among the New Words by
Benjamin Zimmer, Jane Solomon and Charles E Carson:

wokeness, wokeness n State of being woke

The first citation listed for wokeness is this 2010 tweet
https://twitter.com/SnowThaProduct/status/25137693977

Twitter handle: SNOW THA PRODUCT @SnowThaProduct
Timestamp: 1:32 PM · Sep 21, 2010
[Begin excerpt]
RT @wokemario: the whistle go woooo < mario!!!!!!!!!! We need to have
a meeting! Wooooo wokeness is on full!
[End excerpt]

woke adj Conscious, aware or enlightened, esp with regards to matters
of social justice and racial inequity; freq in stay woke

1962 May 20 William Melvin Kelley New York Times Sunday Magazine 45
(head & text) If You’re Woke You Dig It / woke (adj): well-informed,
up-to-date (“Man, I’m woke”).

Garson