[Ads-l] 'jarhead' (a mule) antedatings

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Mon Jan 16 05:17:41 UTC 2023

OEDO sense 1a, 1906. The meaning of "jar head" (and "jingo-clam")
in the 1895 quote is unclear.

[1895  *The Coosa River News* (Centre, Alabama) 1/3  What is the
difference betwixt a jingo-clam and a red-ruin jar head?]

     https://www.newspapers.com/clip/116493311/jar-head-mule/

1899  *The Atlanta Constitution* (Atlanta, Georgia) 9/2  The next
morning that Georgia jar head was geared up earlier than usual and
the plow was in the ground ere the sun had kissed the dew from off
the grass. The mule did not understand the reason for this unusual
turn of affairs, but the neighbor to the prison farm had caught
inspiration from the movements there and the probability now is
that he won’t want that premeditated extension.

     https://www.newspapers.com/clip/116489860/jar-head-a-mule/

1904  *The Coosa River News* (Centre, Alabama) 4/1  Under what
electoral ticket will the Mule party (the ’Pubs, ’Pops and
’Pendents) have their names. Each party must have a name and
emblem to get on the new election ballot. We suggest to our dear
friends that they use the picture of tolerable fat jar-head and
thus carry the cognomen and emblem together. O, for a mule cut.

     https://www.newspapers.com/clip/116507558/jarhead-a-mule/

1905  *Fayetteville Weekly Observer* (North Carolina) 2/4  Mr.
Wade Burney made his regular trip out in 71st driving his Jar
Head.

     https://www.newspapers.com/clip/116438605/jarhead-mule/

--
James Eric Lawson