[Ads-l] Further Antedating of "Woke"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 16 13:29:49 UTC 2023

Here's an even earlier use of "woke" meaning "well-informed, alert."  The context is similar to the three other early citations.  It occurs in a student newspaper of an historically black college, in a description of a New York City jazz show.

woke (OED, adj.2., 2., 1962)

1956 The Lincolnian (Lincoln University [Pennsylvania] student newspaper) 17 Nov. 3/2 (Illinois Digital Newspaper Collection)  At the close of the night, we both agreed that we had had a fab time, and I promised Gerri that the next time I would pick up all the tabs. She replied, "I am woke." I wonder what she meant by that???????

Fred Shapiro

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2023 7:42 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Another Antedating of "Woke"

Mad Magazine had a second use of "woke" to mean "well-informed, alert," two years after the first:

1960 Mad Magazine June 45 (Internet Archive)
"I am woke, Dad," I broke, oozing, "some cat's at the window, cruising.

This too occurs in a Mad hepcat version of a literary classic (Poe's "The Raven").

Fred Shapiro