[Ads-l] Quote: Never retract. Never explain. Get it done and let them howl

Mon Jan 23 09:32:00 UTC 2023

Way back in May 2010 I posted to this mailing list about the
expression in the subject line.
https://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2010-May/099733.html

This family of sayings is complex and variable. The target quotation
apparently evolved over time from fragments. Years ago I struggled
trying to compose an engaging presentation for the QI website and gave
up. Now, I’ve just decided to share what I found so other researchers
can access it.

Never retract. Never explain. Get it done and let them howl
https://quoteinvestigator.medium.com/730e1412b7a

Abbreviated article:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2023/01/20/howl/

[Begin Acknowledgements]
Great thanks to Michael Johnston and Jonathan Lighter whose inquiries
led QI to formulate this question and perform this exploration. Thanks
to Stephen Goranson who identified the 1860 letter. Also, thanks to
previous researchers Fred Shapiro, Jonathan Lighter, Ralph Keyes, and
Nigel Rees.
[End Acknowledgements]

Garson