[Ads-l] in the first place

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 2 03:50:49 UTC 2023

The video "Mind Palace (Simple Guide) - 5 Steps to Remember Things With a Memory Palace” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIbz_gKw0XY) by Practical Psychology claims (0:28) that “in the first place” comes from the method of loci.

The Art of Memory website (https://artofmemory.com/blog/first-place-second-place/) has tried to verify this claim but came up with no proof, instead citing the OED which says that “place” is “a step or point in the order of progression.”

It certainly makes sense that it comes from the method of loci but proof is lacking.

FWIW, here’s a citation from an English with the Lain equivalents for "in the first place" and "in the second place."
https://tinyurl.com/mr3v8avn
Daniel O’Connell, p 244
1908

###
The one thing needful was a permanent society “in order to collect funds _in primo loco_, to collect funds _in second loco_, and to collect funds, thirdly and lastly, because we have both mind and body within us, and all we want is the means of keeping the machine in regular and supple motion."
###

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA