[Ads-l] Stix Nix Hix Pix

Sat Jul 15 17:51:52 UTC 2023

There is some uncertainty about the identity of the creator of the
famous headline. Abel Green, the editor of Variety, discussed this
topic thirty years afterward in an article he penned in Variety.

Green suggests that either he wrote the headline or it was a
collaborative effort with Lin Bonner. The term "streamer" meant
"headline".

[ref] 1965 October 13, Variety, Volume 119, Number 5, STICKS NIX HICK
PIX by Abel Green, Quote Page 2, Column 5, Variety Inc., New York.
(ProQuest) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
A historic oddity attaches to this headline. The story itself was
anything but one of this paper’s best and Lin Bonner was assigned to
come up with a lively streamer. Bonner had only just been transferred
from the Hollywood to the New York staff, coming east in the hope a
change of climate would help his health. After he groped half an
afternoon for the right swing and size of caption this editor applied
the final touch. All unanticipated, a VARIETY classic was born. There
was irony in the fact that Bonner was suffering from, and did not know
it, cancer and was dead within three weeks!
[End excerpt]

Garson