[Ads-l] Antedating of "singer-songwriter"

Wed Jul 19 04:37:13 UTC 2023

Excellent citations, Steven. I do not know what the OED editors will
think of the first citation with the comma separating the terms.
Here is a hyphenated instance in 1943.

Date: August 19, 1943
Newspaper: Atlantic City Press
Newspaper Location: Atlantic City, New Jersey
Article: Joe Howard Coming To Hamid's Pier
Quote Page 7, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com
https://www.newspapers.com/article/press-of-atlantic-city-singer-songwriter/128486291/

[Begin excerpt]
The singer-songwriter, who authored "I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now,"
"Bicycle Built For Two," and other timeless ballads, will be making
his first appearance on this historic amusement pier, although he has
appeared in this resort in top-flight revues, vaudeville and night
clubs.
[End excerpt]

Garson